[Ansteorra] Need Liqueur recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 8 23:15:39 PST 2010

I don't think I'm going to have a recipe for an Allspice liqueur,
since allspice is a New World plant and probably not period.

However, here are some Florilegium files on distilled beverages and
cordials. I believe there is some discussion in the cordials-msg file
on the pros and cons or using brandy, vodka or everclear as the base
for cordials. I believe that the comments are that everclear is likely
to be harsh and it is unlikely that period distilling could get
anywhere near that high of a percentage of alcohol.

Another thing that was new to me until I started studying this, was
that in period it would have been much more likely to have put the
spices in the wine or other feedstock and then distill it, rather than
starting with an already distilled source. Unfortunately, the United
States government takes a rather dim view of you doing your own
distilling and the licenses for this are rather difficult and
expensive to get.

bev-distilled-msg(142K) 10/25/09  Medieval distilled beverages.
Distilling.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/bev-distilled-msg.html
cordials-msg     (157K) 12/ 1/09  Period cordials and liqueurs. SCA
creations.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/cordials-msg.html

Stefan

--------