[Ansteorra] You are making a difference

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 9 20:21:22 PST 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 7:31 PM, marlyna at aol.com wrote:
> There are some of us that know and use ASL, so if we are needed, we
> can do interpreting of court, announcements, etc. at events.
>
> Marlyna
> Teacher of the Deaf

There are sets of special hand signals for use with ASL for the
specialized vocabulary of the SCA. I have a little bit of info in the
DISABILITES section of the Florilegium and have permission to add
several more articles as my time permits.

Deaf-History-bib  (12K)  9/11/09  "A Preliminary Bibliography of Deaf
History
                                 before 1600 CE." by Lady Ásfríðr
Ulfvíðardóttir.
SCA-SL-art        (14K)  9/ 8/94  SCA specific sign language.
sign-lang-msg     (18K)  7/31/01  Sign language in the SCA and in
period.
Sign-Lang-Wed-art (12K)  8/28/09  "Wedding Vows Performed in 'Sign
Language',
                                      and Signs in Other Ceremonies"
by Lady
                                      Ásfríðr Ulfvíðardóttir.
Sign-Language-bib (12K) 11/ 1/09  "An Annotated Bibliography on
Monastic Sign
                                      Lexicons (MSL), Finger Alphabets
and
                                      Mnemonics" by Lady Ásfríðr
Ulfvíðardóttir.

I don't remember sign language interpreting being as common in
Ansteorra as in other kingdoms, but perhaps I've just not noticed it.

Of course in many courts I've been in, no one past the first couple of
rows can hear anything, anyway.

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com