[Ansteorra] Pronunciation was Re: "Ansteorran: of or pertaining to the Kingdom of Ansteorra"

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 06:11:32 PST 2010

So let me ask you this: How many syllables are in the name "Ansteorra"?

[Wihtric]  Three, divided thus an-steor-ra.

Why have I never heard this? This is what I've been advocating since I was
an undergrad, but I always hear "an-ste-OR-ra"....or even worse,
"an-ste-OR-ri-a". Is this just a southern thing?

I've even suggested, if the "eo" is too difficult, to look at it as
"an-STAIR-ra" (since the diphthong represented here by "ai" is very similar
to the OE "eo" diphthong). It's been like talking to a brick wall. Maybe I
haven't been loud enough.

DT+LF