[Ansteorra] Pronunciation was Re: "Ansteorran: of or pertaining to the Kingdom of Ansteorra"

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 11:07:22 PST 2010

Your Excellency, the problem with "yore" is that stress is placed on the "o"
and not on the "e". In Old English diphthongs, stress is placed on the first
vowel of the cluster, and not on the second vowel. With the "eo" diphthong,
the "e" is pronounced as a long "e" (thanks to the fifteenth century vowel
shift, now the long "a", such as in "late"), and then the "o" is pronounced
as an unstressed schwa, like the "e" in "waiter".

Think again of the name "Beowulf". We don't pronounce it "beh-YO-woolf" but
as "BAY-uh-woolf". The same pronunciation rule should apply to the "eo" in
"Ansteorra". I think the dominant pronunciation (stressing the "o" and not
the "e") is a result of confusing the "eo" in "Beowulf" with the "eo" in
such Greek derivatives as "geometry".

Much of Old English is not music to anybody's modern ears...at least, until
you've had a chance to hear a lot of it. Then it becomes quite melodious.
Old English is even more gutteral than Modern High German. If you've ever
had a chance to hear the Hildebrandslied read (in Old High German), or
better yet, "Der Heliand" in Old LOW German, you might get a better taste of
what those old languages sound like.

As a grad student, I was told I should have no trouble reading Old English
since I knew German, but Old English isn't even close enough to Modern High
German to be that easy. Quite a lot of difference separates Old Low German
from Modern High German.

I had the great fortune in 2005 of hearing part of Beowulf read in Old
English at Trinity Church in Houston. I believe the performer who read it
was Benjamin Bagby. As he chanted the Old English text, Modern English
surtitles were displayed on a screen, but after a while, I quit reading the
titles and listened to the sound of the language. It's quite beautiful, once
you've gotten used to it.