[Ansteorra] Pronunciation was Re: "Ansteorran: of or pertaining to the Kingdom of Ansteorra"

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Sat Mar 13 11:29:10 PST 2010

The problem with most of the analysis in this thread is that we are not speaking Old English; we are speaking in modern English, using a word with Old English roots.  But it's not the only word we use with ancient roots.

If you say "hwaet" not "what", "hoos" not "house", "Pah-ree" not "Pay-riss", "Mohskvah" not Moscow, and "hooper" not "hyper", then you also need to use a Saxon pronunciation of "Ansteorra.

But if you pronounce the rest of your words in modern English, then "AHN-stay-OR-ah" is equally acceptable.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

P.S. (What I wish we could get rid of is the drawl "Ayun-steorra".)