[Ansteorra] Pronunciation was Re: "Ansteorran: of or pertaining to the Kingdom of Ansteorra"

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner burgborrendohl at valornet.com
Sat Mar 13 16:08:16 PST 2010

Jay Rudin wrote:
> The problem with most of the analysis in this thread is that we are not speaking Old English; we are speaking in modern English, using a word with Old English roots.  But it's not the only word we use with ancient roots.

Agreed, but its root is an old world construction so why didn't they
just use "Lone Star" if that wasn't important.  For example, when they
talk about the Northern region it is often referred to as "Nordsteorra",
but my preference is to go with language of its people and call it
"North Star" or the region of the "Northern Star".  However, since the
name has already been chosen for our great kingdom from an Anglo Saxon
root, I prefer to call it as closely as possible to its origin.
> If you say "hwaet" not "what", "hoos" not "house", "Pah-ree" not "Pay-riss", "Mohskvah" not Moscow, and "hooper" not "hyper", then you also need to use a Saxon pronunciation of "Ansteorra.

Actually, some of us do use Moskva, Cobenhaven, "Pah ree" and "Hath a
boo" whenever possible  once we are aware of the correct pronunciation.
As someone has already pointed out each person plays the game the way
they want.  I think "Anstaira" roles off the tongue delightfully
(Especially if you roll the r's with an Arabic or Andulsian accent :-)
), but that's my preference.  You say pah ta to and I say po tah to,
let's just all have fun!

And I agree with Her Excellency Kelandra that this discussion is
entertaining, educational and wonderful for those of us not able to
attend Gulf.

Ismet