[Ansteorra] any stories about Monday's

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Mar 15 21:20:19 PDT 2010

Mondays are a very special time for me. I walk the camp and figure out were things are. My father was in the oss in WWII and taught me this trick. close you eyes every once and a while when you are walking around and feel how the road feels under your feet. Record non visual landmarks and you will find traveling a night time easier.
I also make a point of stopping and talking to everyone and introducing myself and asking people during the day if they would like to hear stories that night. That way I already have a invitation for the evening and I am not an "attack bard". Often people will say not tonight, how about Wed night or St. Patrick's day. I often tell stories to the mothers and children. Getting stuck in camp during the war can be lonely.
I will tell jokes and medieval Gossip but unless the people really ask me to stay longer I keep my visits short. As an Laurel that uses storytelling as a way of showing my research I feel it is my duty  to spread knowledge about the Middle Ages around. I am a cultural researcher so sharing the stories, and tales and histories are a way to give people insights into time period we are studying.
Also since we are a "Living History" group according to the intro into the Corpora this is my way to show what people did in the middle ages. Most people of the upper classes took great pride in having stories to tell and songs to sing and poems to do. Even Great "Vikings" like Harold hardfist list storytelling as a things he was proud to be good at.
By the time I have finished my tour I have found my old friends and met a bunch of new.
In the old days 20 years ago when Kings listened to me I would also find out a lot about who was allied with who and who was up for grabs. I found many mercenaries will ask bards if their king is  hiring. A story or two of the nobleness of our King and how good he is at war can sway people to join our side. I have gotten people for different nobles over the years.
I always put on a nice dress on Monday because what I wear helps people to get in the mood. A few M'Lords and M'Ladies and In the Spirit conversation can help people feel in the mood.
If this seems a little pushy please forgive me but I am a Laurel and a Lion and I am supposed to Fulfill these roles. We are teachers and mood builders. You of course do not have to follow my model. But walking around on Monday and talking to people will get you places to go a night and if you have paid attention you will know how to get there.
willow