[Ansteorra] ASL at Court

sirburke at cox.net sirburke at cox.net
Thu Mar 11 07:24:54 PST 2010

---- "Elisabeth B. Zakes" <kitharis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not too many years ago we had some "Silent Heralds," as they were then
> called, at several courts. At least one Heraldic Symposium had at least one
> class on the subject that my daughter attended. It would be quite useful, I
> think, if the Silent Heralds were revived or more in evidence or something.
>
> Aethelyan Moondragon
> Bryn Gwlad

This issue comes up from time to time and while it is a nice idea (yes it is hard to hear in court some of the time, that is why some people sit up front) it concerns me that people will begin to expect that every court will have an ASL person at it.  The cost of such a thing, as well as the logistics, would be impossible.  The SCA just does not have the resources to provide this.  We also have to be concerned that if we start requiring this we will have to make sure the people are certified and know ASL.  It would not due to have the King say one thing and have the interpreter sign something else by accident.  Groups right now can arrange for ASL people if they want on an optional basis, but lets just be careful on how much farther we want to go.

Sir Burke