[Ansteorra] ASL at Court

Suzanne Booth SuzanneBooth at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 07:42:45 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:24 AM, <sirburke at cox.net> wrote:

> ---- "Elisabeth B. Zakes" <kitharis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not too many years ago we had some "Silent Heralds," as they were then
> > called, at several courts. At least one Heraldic Symposium had at least
> one
> > class on the subject that my daughter attended. It would be quite useful,
> > think, if the Silent Heralds were revived or more in evidence or
> something.
> >
> > Aethelyan Moondragon
> > Bryn Gwlad
> >
> This issue comes up from time to time and while it is a nice idea (yes it
> is hard to hear in court some of the time, that is why some people sit up
> front) it concerns me that people will begin to expect that every court will
> have an ASL person at it.  The cost of such a thing, as well as the
> logistics, would be impossible.  The SCA just does not have the resources to
> provide this.  We also have to be concerned that if we start requiring this
> we will have to make sure the people are certified and know ASL.  It would
> not due to have the King say one thing and have the interpreter sign
> something else by accident.  Groups right now can arrange for ASL people if
> they want on an optional basis, but lets just be careful on how much farther
> we want to go.
>
> Sir Burke

Speaking as one who was one of the primary Silent Heralds in Ansteorra
before I moved northward to Calontir ....

I realize that there are relatively few "expert" interpreters who are also
active in the SCA (Silent Heralds) and that those few people cannot be
expected to attend every event in a kingdom.

 The deaf community does not require certified ASL interpreters at an SCA
event.

I've "heard" over and over again that they appreciate even the limited
interpreting a person new to sign language can provide.  For them,
understanding a little bit of what is going on is much better than
understanding nothing of what is going on.

There are options, though, for folks who need assistance with understanding
what is going on in court.

If a Silent Herald is not available, an interpreter can be obtained (often
for free) from the ranks of those attending college to learn interpreting.
This option has been pursued in the past by a deaf couple who reside in my
local group when they want to attend something where I cannot interpret
(like our Twelfth Night celebration where I was the feast steward and so
could not interpret for court).

Suzanne
--
THL Suzanne de la Ferté