[Ansteorra] Floating Dons (was: GULF WAR WEATHER) (now witchcraft?)

paul rieke pdkrieke at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 13 06:30:51 PST 2010

As you say, depending on countries and periods, and what was involved in the charge. Anything to do with the king brought in the issue of treason. Burning seems to have been the usual punishment in Scotland and the Channel islands, where witchcraft (as opposed to heresy or treason!) was more likely to get you hanged in England. It seems to have been looked on as more of a "civil" crime  Making your neighbor's cow dry up versus making an "image" of the king . Treason and heresy were another story. I think the traditional female sentence for treason was burning or beheading, "at the king's pleasure", and I think that was the original sentence Anne Boleyn received. Less an issue of what you DID as opposed to whom it was directed? Ireland (Dame Alice Kyteler notwithstanding) seems to have been less troubled by witches...but as someone pointed out, they didn't need them , they had the English!

Fedelm ni Uidhir

Fedelm ni Uidhir