[Ansteorra] Pronunciation was Re: "Ansteorran: of or pertaining to the Kingdom of Ansteorra"

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:21:10 PST 2010

I like to try for a "when in Rome/Roma" philosophy toward pronouncing
foreign place names, such as Moskva, Hyubenhaun (Copenhagen), Paree, Wien,
and Athinai. It's interesting that we have a small town in Texas named
Praha, but we still call the city it was named after Prague. I've been
calling the site of Gaudi's Sagrada Familia church Barthelona for years.
Pronouncing the capital of Israel "Jerusalem" is a travesty, considering how
gorgeous the name "Yerushalayim" sounds.

Would that we could standardize the spelling of the country to our south as
Mejico, so that people would be more inclined to pronounce that name
correctly, rather than as Meksico. Maybe even Tejas instead of Texas.

It also makes us sound less ethnocentric :-)

P&B,
DT+LF
Detlef