[Ansteorra] Artisan teachers beware: check overpayment scam

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 16:45:12 PDT 2010

Greetings,
With the large number of independent teachers we have in the SCA that share their knowledge, some of them will offer private classes and/or lessons, in the SCA and in the modern world.   An artisan I know was recently a target of a scam; scenario is this: the student (from Europe) makes arrangements for private lessons (which this teacher has done before), sends a check ahead, check is for over the amount for the class; student then asks for a refund in the difference for the overage; later the original overpayment check bounces, leaving the teacher out the money for the refund - and of course the class never takes place.  Luckily, my friend got suspicious when some questions were not answered, so the funds never were exchanged.

If you arrange classes with someone, perhaps traveling into your region, from the SCA or not, beware of accepting a check for more than the amount of the classes, and certainly don't send the refund of the amount difference; ask for a new correct amount check instead, or alternate methods of payment such as cash, cashiers checks, etc.

Here is a link to the details:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt014.shtm

Cheers, Hillary
(feel free to forward as necessary)