[Ansteorra] need source for real lye soap

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu May 6 12:27:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 02:18:01PM -0500, Stephanie Suesan Smith wrote:
> I am looking for a bar of real old fashion lye soap.  The kind sold as lye
> soap in the stores will not work for this purpose.  Please send me an email
> if you know where I can get some.  Thanks.

Probably the best way to get some lye soap with certainty that it is the
real, old-fashioned thing, is to make it yourself: lye plus fat, using a
slight surplus of fat to make sure that all the lye reacts. There are
recipes out on the web, searchable through Google.

Be _very_ careful if you choose to make your own: lye is nasty and
unforgiving.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO