[Ansteorra] For those of you with $185, 000 just lying around...

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 12:33:18 PDT 2010

Salut cozyns,

Master Robin, you had me until you said:

" This is one reason why the SCA has such a horrible reputation with professional historians and antiquarians."

Nah. Professional historians (discounting the ones who are actually part of the SCA like Mistress Brynhildr, Sir Michael Delacy, and Duke Finvarr) typically dislike the SCA because they consider what we do silly. They dislike what we do with the information (playing dress-up) or they resent our misuse of terms like "re-creation" and "reenactment," neither of which have anything to do with the SCA, generally. Professional antiquarians, on the other hand, dislike that many of us are looking for bargains or--even worse--planning to actually USE their wares. Helmut Nichol, who used to be (may still be for all I know) in charge of the Medieval holdings at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art, specifically told me that he doesn't care for the SCA and such Medieval-play groups because, so many of us read two books on a topic and think that makes us experts. So, if that's what Master Robin meant, I agree. If he meant we have a reputation as know-it-alls--yeah. We aren't going experts. None of us can say, definitively, that the pictured items are authentic. I know some damned-knowledgeable Laurels, but a Laurel isn't a Ph.D.

Master Robin, I believe, is correct in his eviddentiary analysis and debunking of the stolen property and fraud theories. Having seen many stolen items and more than a few frauds turn up on e-Bay, though, I can see why some might ask those questions.

I agree, in this case, that accusing the purveyor of a crime would be wrong-headed, but let's not over-state the case. Asking questions and making hypothetical statements like, "There is always the possibility..." do not constitute accusations. Wondering if there's anything wrong with a product of this apparent value, on e-Bay, and for such an outlandish sum is understandable. It's an odd case. My guess is that it's real and that none of the museums wanted to offer much money for it. Possibly all the major museums already have copies of the same or similar items. As for the huge price, well, people have a tendency to overvalue antiques, so maybe the book store guy hopes he'll get lucky and find a millionaire who likes cool Medieval stuff. Maybe he's hoping we'll forward the link to Richard Garriot. :-)

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est (The obstacle is the path)