[Ansteorra] need source for real lye soap

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 6 13:24:56 PDT 2010

Do you want/need to make your own lye? Or are you willing to buy it in the store? If you look carefully some of the drain cleaning products are pure lye.

For directions on making your own soap there are a number of web resources. Here are the files I have in the Florilegium on making soap. Some of these recipes add in other items for fragrance or texture, but if you aren't wanting those, just leave them out.

soapmaking-msg (62K) 2/ 3/08 Period and modern soapmaking techniques.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/soapmaking-msg.html

Soapmakng-CMA-art (24K) 10/ 6/97 "Soapmaking in the Current Middle Ages" by Gillian Fhlaitheamhail (Fraya Davis).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/Soapmakng-CMA-art.html

Ivory soap is one brand of pure soap without added detergents or other items.

The problem you may be having may have more to do with the oil/fat involved. 'Castile' type soaps, generally imported into the rest of Europe during the Middle Ages used olive oil as their principle oil, while other soaps used tallow or other animal fats. I'm not sure what you are trying to do or the problems you are having but this could be some of the reason.  I think all soaps are going to need a strong alkaline, such as lye (sodium hydroxide, I believe) to work. I'm not a chemist, though.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com