[Ansteorra] Fw: award regalia pics ? take 2

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon May 17 09:36:23 PDT 2010

>there are probably many people in the society, that like me are heraldicly challenged, and couldn't tell the difference in a hagen daz vert, with a muffy ore cantelevered , and a sable horse pouchant bordered erminy pinkish.
>and as much as i hold those that not only understand herald speak, but speak it fluently ,in awe, is there someplace that shows pic's or drawings of " all " ansteorran and society level awards ?

Only the Ordinary and Armorial, which is contained in over twenty file cabinets at the home of the Laurel Sovereign of Arms.

> i suspect that those awards dont have regalia approved yet , but am unsure.
>anyway , as  a way to help everyone be informed , and polite, in the section on " nobility " couldn't the heralds put pics, or drawings of the apropriate " type " of brass hat that each may wear ? ( pointy? leafy?pearly, etc ) all i know is if its flat its normally a baron or baroness , and if its nothing but gold, and a big black star you bow extra low ; )  , but all the different types of hats can be very confusing even to me who has played for over 28 years, let alone those more recent to the society.

The answer to any question of the form "Couldn't they do X?" is either time or money.  This being a volunteer organization, the answer is time.  The page you cited has the following: "Please Note: This section is a Work In Progress. It can only become a fully working "gallery" with the help of artisans willing to allow their work to be shown."

Flat is anybody.  Pearls are baronies.  Embattled or dovetailed is County.  Strawberry leaves are a duchy.  Weird stuff is weird.  Former rulers of Ansteorra may wear a black star.  Former landed barons/esses may wear a symbol of the barony or a black star.  (The black star for former barons has been allowed, but is poor heraldry.  I ruled the Steppes, not Ansteorra, so my coronet has an oak leaf, not a black star.)

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin