[Ansteorra] Let me introduce myself (a little more)

Pat McGregor patsmor at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 06:31:40 PDT 2010

Good gentles --
I've been gently reminded that I said nothing about me, only about my travelogue in my first note. So:

What dragged me wholeheartedly into the SCA was cooking, particularly for feasts. I've done some 50 or more of them.  I was lucky enough to be mentored by Duchess Caellyn FitzHugh and Mistress Jehanne st. Briuec, both of whom were using the very few period cookbooks back in 1979-ish, but who taught me to care about taste, presentation, authenticity, and getting the food to the table hot and all of the course at the same time!

Before moving out of The West and having my SCA kitchen in storage, I
was doing a great deal of cooking on site as a new challenge to myself.

I also knew how to sew, and so have done a lot of 12-14th c garb, decorated some embroidery, some beadwork, whatever took my fancy. recently I've gotten hooked on staring at museum pictures and discussing how the outfits must have been created, and have done some attempts at doing really authentic clothes and simple hats. I'm still obsessive, but living in a 450 sq ft studio without my machines rather of limits me to research.

Of course, I dressed my children and spouses, and so have done children's clothing (some tunics still appear on kids in pictures, giving me a start. "Who knew _that_ turquoise velveteen houppelande was still going strong????"), young men and young women's clothing, etc.

I'm a research hound, having toyed with getting a masters' before single parenthood got in the way, and all my personal research library is in storage with the rest of my household belongings. Sometimes I can see the book I want and what box it's in -- and teleportation doesn't work, darn it!

I love music and song and have been unable to do much of either in the last 5 years, and so have a rusty, creaky voice.

No much else I can think of. There is a wildly out-of-date SCA page on my website: http://pat.nithaus.org/SCA/

Again, my apologies if I was just a travel guide before!

best regards,
siobhan m.

Pat McGregor      -           patsmor at yahoo.com

There is no old age. There is, as there always was, just you.

       Carol Matthau