[Ansteorra] different areas of heraldry in the SCA

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 20:26:14 PDT 2010

On Nov 1, 2010, at 10:06 AM, Alasdair MacEogan wrote:
> Ok, to head off a potential misunderstanding, let em clarify something.  The warranting class is needed for you to hold an official office as a herald, not just to do heralding. :-D  No class needed for field, court or camp heralding.  Might have been perfectly clear, but I felt it worth noting.

As Alasdair highlights, there are multiple types of heraldic responsibilities. Formal training is recommended for all positions but really is only needed for those with specific, official responsibilities.

Name heraldry and Armorial (ie: designing good devices/coats of arms) heraldry are also other aspects of heraldry. Both can get rather esoteric, but having some fundamental knowledge of each is helpful, even if just to design and submit your own name and device.

I have some files in the NEWCOMERS and the HERALDRY sections of the Florilegium which might help folks wishing to pick up some basic heraldry.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have a good article on basic armorial heraldry, although I'd love to have one. hint. hint.

For name heraldry:
Choose-a-Name-art (12K) 10/ 3/09 "Choosing a Society Name: Hints for Newcomers"
by Dietmar Reinhart von Straubing and Malachias von Morgenstern.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NEWCOMERS/Choose-a-Name-art.html

Field and camp heraldry, ie: making announcements, can be fairly easy to learn. You don't just need to yell. In fact, that is not what you wish to do if you wish to keep your voice, rather you need to learn to project your voice. But it doesn't require learning a bunch of esoterica to start out doing it. And many events can often use additional field heralds.

F-Hldry-Trnmt-art (12K) 1/12/03 "Field Herald's Litany for Tournaments" by H.L. Alden Pharamond.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/F-Hldry-Trnmt-art.html

Field-Herldry-art (48K) 6/ 9/02 "Field Heraldry" by H.L. Alden Pharamond.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Field-Herldry-art.html

Voice-Herldry-art (8K) 1/16/07 "How to be a Voice Herald in 42 easy steps!" by Lady Eleanor Cleavely.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/Voice-Herldry-art.html

List and court heraldry are expansions on field heraldry. The main addition is learning some diplomacy and some more procedures about how to say things.
List-Heraldry-art (8K) 2/20/09 "List Heraldry" by Lord Ivo Blackhawk.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/List-Heraldry-art.html

Again, if someone has an article specifically on doing court heraldry, I'd love to consider adding it to the Florilegium.

I hope this helps anyone thinking about thinking of dipping their toes into heraldry.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com