[Ansteorra] Poetry for Children

Catrin ferch Maelgwn ladycatrin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 20:35:10 PDT 2010

Although they're not written for children, I wonder if the letters of John
Ball might be appropriate.  They're in verse form, and since "Crispin" is
set around the same time as the Peasants' Revolt, they might add to the
students' understanding of the setting, and the forces that were shaping the
world at that time.  Depending on your students' ages, you could just give
them a modern English translation, or provide both a translation and the
original Middle English side-by-side.  The poems themselves are fairly
simple.

There are some other contemporary poems about the Rebellion, mostly
anonymous, that could also work.  You can find a few in "Historical Poems of
the XIV and XV Centuries," edited by Rossell Hope Robbins, but I'm afraid I
don't have any good translations to suggest.

Good luck!

-Catrin ferch Maelgwn