[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Nov 2 21:48:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to note that, when Her Majesty the Queen of Great
> Britain's

"... by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head
of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith", to be precise.

> coronation was televised in 1953 (the first and, so far, only
> coronation ceremony to be televised), the cameras did not capture
> the moment of the monarch's anointing, which is the most sacred
> moment of the coronation service.

True, and sites including
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_of_the_British_monarch> says
that the Communion was not televised or photographed either.  But I
gather that another serious problem is that (a) for the anointing, she
was being stripped down to her anointing gown, which was later *under*
her shift, so imagine the chance of an accident, and (b) four Garter
knights were holding a gold canopy over her in case of a wardrobe
malfunction anyway.  (Jerrold M. Packard, _The Queen and Her Court_,
p. 168.)

> I don't know if I'm a dinosaur for thinking a little respect for the
> most profound moments in our lives is appropriate

Exemplia grumpia: I absolutely refuse to clap at a wedding, on the
grounds that it's not a frakin' performance.  In most weddings I've
been at, it's been a religious ceremony: I consider it even more
inappropriate to treat a sacrament as an entertainment.  What next,
shouting "encore!", or if they make a mistake, throwing stinking
vegetables at the couple and retracting the wedding presents?

Denyel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com