[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 19:43:25 PDT 2010

People do bring computers and cell phones to events. In every case that I'm going to outline below, they were not harming the ambiance, and helped Scadians in various ways.

I've been to several events where feast reservations and so on were checked off on a computer, including a very lovely Coronation. In the case of the Coronation, the gate tables were inside the entrance, but outside of the hall.

I also remember a particularly long court last year where I offered to babysit, and kept the kiddos entertained by watching Netflix on my netbook in Baron D'Alder's yard. This _enhanced_ the atmosphere at court, I'm sure. :P

Last month, during a troll shift, we used cell phones for flashlights so people could sign in, until new batteries were brought for the lantern.

At a different event, we passed a dark, freezing gate shift watching Big Bang Theory on someone else's Android. It made the shift go much faster, and I was grateful for it.

In addition, the autocrat of that event kept their cell phone on hand (Well, in pouch.) because of a family member's illness.

As a parent, if I can't take my cell phone, I can't go. My babysitter needs a way to contact me in case of emergency.

Anyway, I'm not saying that we should all whip out our netbooks on the list field, but let's not pretend that we don't bring and use these devices at events. :)

-Rose

If you give a child a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a child to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. But if you teach a child to learn, you feed him for a lifetime and he doesn't have to just eat fish. :)