[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Nov 3 19:38:07 PDT 2010

Coming in late on this discussion; (sorry if the horse is already dead..)
When I am shooting court I try to keep the flash off as long as is feasible,

and even then I prefer to use the smaller on-board pop-up rather than the
halogen monster
but for some few situations it, sadly, cannot be avoided..
Myself, I tend to orbit the court, so that I don't get the back of
everyone's head all the time;
and thus manage to randomly distribute any excess photons amongst the
observers.
Fortunately the Entourages have been excellent at ignoring me wandering back
and forth ...
For non-flash situations;
Two instances spring to mind- when Northkeep arranged Coleman lanterns
behind shields to
Illumine the court, but not to glare in the eyes of the populace; folks on
and behind the thrones
took the brunt of the excess light that time, but the field photos were
exceptional!
Other time was some years ago, at Ms. Sara Penrose's Laureling; Ms. Xene let
me creep up next to her knees,
and Sara had Knelt right under a spotlight, so the (half second, hand held,
non-flash, not even digital)
exposure gave her the most excellent halo around her hair; I really think
that was one of my best ever...
I gave copies to her at the time; she might still have them somewhere.
Point, ..I had a point.. oh, yes- good photographs can happen in dark venues
without flash,
but they are the exception rather than the expectation.
Thanks much for your time and consideration, Pyro