[Ansteorra] Cut-off Dates (was RE: Why aren't we doing this?)

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Fri Nov 5 10:01:56 PDT 2010

I want to add to my earlier comments that I do understand the magic of
everyone having a common focus. When an event has a particular theme or
focus I think it is courteous to either attempt that theme or at least
remain unobtrusive. Showing up to the Viking event in your most OH-MY-GOD
cavalier is a bit tacky IMO.

One of the things I enjoy most about Bryn Gwlad are our themed events. They
provide those magic moments, they let different people have the spotlight
for their time period and they give us an excuse for extending ourselves and
trying some things  we might not otherwise try. We have done High Middle
Ages, Viking/Saxon, The Crusades, Renaissance, Elizabethan and more. We have
held peasant revels and high court events. We have focused on the arts, we
have focused on the fighting and we have focused on equestrian. All of these
events were great fun, had wonderful moments that could not be found at a
generic SCA event and forced me to stuff my closet full of costumes from a
dozen different times and cultures.

The key to making this sort of event work is to come together as a barony
with the understanding that, if you are willing to make an effort to play in
someone else's time period or culture, when your turn comes they will make
an effort to play in your time or culture.

Christian Doré