[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Tue Nov 2 12:31:09 PDT 2010

Very good analysis. As a photographer of things SCA I have tried just about
everything to get unobtrusive pictures. Good pictures require a lot of
light. Some of the newer semi-pro cameras have really high ISO ("film
speed"), but they are really expensive ($5,000-8,000 for the body plus
lenses) and you will get noise in the pictures at the really high end ISO.
Those larger lenses with higher apertures are generally expensive also. My
main lens costs $900 and I know people in the SCA with $5,000 lenses.

I once shot a whole evening of court without a flash at the request of the
Crown. I used a Vibration Reduction (VR) lens that was pretty fast and an
ISO of 3200. I got maybe 1% usable pictures. They looked OK on my 2"
display, but when viewed in as pictures later, they were all blurry. I had
thought the VR lens would help and it did reduce the blur from camera shake,
but the blur from moving people was still there. A tripod has the same
problem.

If you want modern, quality pictures of you or your friends when they get
awards or other recognition in dark courts, then you will have to put up
with modern flashes.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede