[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 07:09:27 PDT 2010

I actually had a semi-related question to this in a job interview not
that long ago. (hear me out here... please)

Evidently the President of Oklahoma State University had set a goal of
making OSU the healthiest college campus in the United States, A noble
goal, to be sure. One of my interviewers asked me how I, as a
supervisor, would work towards that objective.

Now, this was an admitted "off the wall" question, and really had
little to do with the job I was interviewing for, but all supervisors
were being asked to help with it, so...

I thought for a second, and then came up with a shoot-from-the-hip,
"sound bite" answer that I was comfortable with.

"As a general rule, I believe in inspiration over regulation 99% of the time."

I went on to outline that some rules were appropriate, like job
related physical requirements, a ban on smoking in the workplace and
the like. However I firmly believed that it was the responsibility of
the individual, not the governing body, to step in and inspire and/or
lead other individuals in a healthier lifestyle.

You can draw what parallels you like, but in general this whole
question of "regulation" within Ansteorra kind of feels the same way
to me. Take from that what you will, I'm certainly not trying to
preach to anyone.

Ivo Blackhawk