[Ansteorra] Why aren't we doing this?

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:01:39 PDT 2010

The Medieval Recreation and Re-enactment Society, maybe?

I don't know. I actually like the name Society for Creative Anachronism.
That's what we do. We create an anachronism. We don't recreate medieval
history (if we did, King Arthur, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Saint Francis of
Assisi, Meister Eckhardt, and Joan of Arc would be walking among us); we
make our OWN history (so we have people like Siegfried von Hoflichskeit,
Diana Listmaker, Willow de Wisp, Simonn of Amber Isle, Elizabeth Seale, and
Jean Paul de Sens in our midst). We constantly struggle with the paradox of
reconciling our quest for a medieval life with the necessities of modern
life.

We have quite a few serious medievalists among us, but unlike academic
medievalists, we don't just study the Middle Ages. We LIVE the Middle Ages,
in our own weird way, by taking what we learn in our research and giving it
a practical application. We're living an anachronism of our own creation.
Unlike historical re-enactment groups, we don't follow a script in history
books. We make our own script as we go along--just like the people of the
original Middle Ages did.

This thread can go on and on, because there really are no easy answers to
these questions. If there IS an answer, it lies somewhere between dropping a
McDonald's bag onto a table during a feast and surviving on nothing but the
technologies that people actually had access to in the Middle Ages. Where
specifically seems hard to pinpoint.

Maybe we should just work on having fun (knowing what we find fun) and
making sure others are able to have fun at the same time. Could be?

Back to reading!
Detlef