[Ansteorra] ISo Laurels of Instrumental Repute

Zach Most clermont1348 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 12:37:56 PST 2010

To reduce strain on the wood most of the existing strings may have come to you
quite loose.  This may explain why they don't sound very good, particularly if
they're giving out either a dull sound or a multi-frequency twang like a sitar.
You may be able to research how this beastie was intended to be tuned and either
tune each string by ear to that pitch or use a digital tuner.  Simple tuners are
getting cheap these days, and there are smart phone aps that will do it.  This
ensures the expected tension on the instrument's body so you don't warp it,
damage the bridge or snap a string.  Take your time.  This instrument might not
have been played in years.
  Gaston (also not a laurel, but I play a couple strange strings)