[Ansteorra] Stefan's Florilegium files for October

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Wed Oct 6 20:27:28 PDT 2010

Greetings to the Gentles of Known World,

Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for October detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.

I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched a little known subject in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World.

If you would like a quick and easy way to know when any files have been updated or a new file has been added to the Florilegium, then subscribe to the Florilegium RSS feed. Most of the modern browsers now support this feature. If you do use this service, I'd appreciate a quick email letting me know. It takes a fair amount of time to create these and I have no way of knowing whether this feature is being used or not.

Thank you to all who took a look at the ads when you visited the Florilegium and picked on one or two.  The Florilegium is completely supported by the ads that merchants are willing to run, along with a few donations. Usually I get only a few ad clicks a day but I noticed an abrupt increase for a few days after this monthly article was sent to the lists, and I assume it is from folks checking the new and updated files after seeing them in this monthly article and clicking on a few ads. Thank you.

Thanks,
Stefan
---------
A Blending of the Past and Present

Over the past twenty years in an ongoing effort, I have been collecting bits of useful information from various newsgroups, mail lists and articles submitted to me by their authors. In order to make this information available to others, I have placed this information in a collection of files I call Stefan's Florilegium.

I am always interested in new articles. If you have written an article that would be of interest to others in the SCA, please send it to me for possible inclusion in the Florilegium. A&S documentation and class handouts will also often work out well. I am especially interested in A&S papers.

The Florilegium now has an RSS feed for those who want an immediate alert when new or updated files are uploaded to the website.

Advertisements on the site pay for its upkeep. If you enjoy the Florilegium, please click on an ad or two each time you are there.

     THLord Stefan li Rous   Ansteorra    stefan at florilegium.org

Here are the new files for this month:
In the ARCHERY section:
   War-Archry-SS-art   "War Archery and Social Status" by Sir Jon
                           Fitz-Rauf, R.C.A., R.C.Y.
In the CLOTHING section:
   cl-equestrian-msg   Period and SCA clothing for horseback riding.
In the COMBAT section:
   m-fighters-msg      Protective gear for male armored fighters.
In the CRAFTS section:
   Mk-Plgrm-Souv-art   "Making Pilgrim Souvenirs" by HL Jutte
                          Haberlein. Pewter Badges and Ampullae.
   p-lathes-msg        Period lathes. Use and construction. Turning bowls.
In the FOOD-DAIRY section:
   Aged-Cheese-art     "Aged Cheese" as taught by Hildegard filia Vulframn.
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
   macaroons-msg       Period Macaron/Macaroon cookies or cakes.

Here are some of the updated files for this month.
   breadcrumbs-msg     Obtaining bread crumbs for use in recipes.
   cabbages-msg        Period cabbages. Broccoli, Cauliflower,
                          Brussels Sprouts. Recipes.
   caudls-posets-msg   Caudles and Possets. Thickened beverages.
   Charlemagne-msg     Comments and references on Charlemagne.
   cld-weath-cmp-msg   Cold weather camping at SCA events.
   elderberries-msg    Medieval use of elderberries. Processing
                          them and recipes.
   fd-Scotland-msg     Medieval food of Scotland. Recipes.
   ferrets-msg         Ferrets in the SCA and Middle Ages.
   fried-breads-msg    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
   helm-padding-msg    Period and SCA helm padding and strapping.
   maize-msg           Discovery of maize (Indian corn) in the
                          Americas and its introduction to Europe.
   merch-shoes-msg     Lists and reviews of period-style shoe makers.
   pavilions-msg       The making of medieval pavilions.
   pomegranates-msg    Pomegranate fruit, juice and seeds.
   seafood-msg         Medieval non-fish seafood. Recipes.
   spiced-wine-msg     Spiced wines. Hippocras. Recipes.
   tent-fabrics-msg    Fabrics and treatments to use in tents.
   trim-msg            Medieval and SCA trim for clothing.
   vegetarian-msg      Medieval vegetarianism. Lenten foods.
---
Copyright 2010, Mark S. Harris. Permission to reprint in SCA-related publications is hereby granted if the file descriptions are left unchanged. Removing any of the updated files listed in order to fit the article into limited publication space is allowed.  The article introduction may also be edited, provided the web address and contact info are retained.

<end>

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com