[Ansteorra] Allspice berries: Kupnik receipe

Tim Matthews albin_oil_de_larrun at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 17:19:11 PDT 2010

Honeyed vodka or krupnik, served hot or cold, is a favorite among Poles. And, since it's steeped in aromatic spices, less than top-shelf vodka will do just fine. Krupnik is the only alcoholic beverage served at the solemn wigilia or Christmas Eve dinner. No matter what temperature it's served at, krupnik warms the body from the inside out. Perfect for the holidays!

Makes about 1 quart Krupnik
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients:
•	2 tablespoons cold water
•	2 cups sugar
•	4 cups boiling water
•	1/4 vanilla bean, split
•	1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
•	2 whole cloves
•	1 small cinnamon stick, cracked in half
•	10 black peppercorns
•	20 allspice berries
•	1 1/3 cups honey
•	Zest from 1 orange
•	2 cups vodka
Preparation:
1.	In a large saucepan, combine cold water and sugar and heat until it dissolves. Add boiling water, vanilla bean, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and allspice. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
2.	Strain the simple syrup you've just created through cheesecloth or a coffee filter and return to the saucepan. Add the honey and zest, and heat, stirring, until the honey has completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
3.	Gradually stir in vodka. Serve hot. If serving, cold, let honeyed vodka come to room temperature, transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Ld. Albin Oil de Larrun
Shire Adlersruhe