[Ansteorra] Boots / Footwear

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Wed Oct 13 17:10:48 PDT 2010

Dale Carroll wrote:

>> There is a company right here in Ansteorra called RenBoots
>> (http://www.renboots.com).  If I recall correctly, when I spoke to the
>> owner of the company (we both patronize the same liquor store), all but
>> his least expensive boots and shoes are made in the USA.  They are a bit
>> pricier than the $100 Robin Hood boots from SCAboots, but most of them
>> include a "fighting sole" option.
>>
>>  In Service,
>>    Miles Grey
>>
> Issue 13

> Thank you so much for posting this.  This company has taken over
> making the court shoes that Dreamshoes used to make at TRF.  For
> several years tons of people wore these shoes as they were reasonably
> priced and very comfortable. However, the gentleman who produced them
> passed away and they were out of production.  Apparently they reached
> an agreement whereby they can now produce the exact same shoe.  It's
> the Concho design.  Having worn two pairs of these out over 8 years of
> fighting, I  am thrilled to be able to buy another pair.

So that means Lord Malachai was the person who called while I was at the
Renboots office.  :-)

I was able to stop by and pick up a pair of the "Mutiny" boots.  They
run wide, so they're a little wide for my narrow feet.  Doug & Kim Dealy
own the business, and Doug was there.  He showed me the sewing room
where they sew most of their leather products (he cuts a lot of the
leather himself).  He said that the Mutiny boot (Treason Footwear) is
made in China, the Edward boot (Renboots) is made in Mexico, and all the
rest of the boots and shoes and everything else they sell (including the
Kommando Kilts products) and are made in the United States.  Some of the
shoes are made here in Oklahoma City.  The Kommando Kilts Celtic Shirt
(http://www.kommandokilts.com/Shirts.html) is made in Dallas.  Although
it's definitely not a retail location, I noticed the shirts as I walked
by.  I tried on the 2X size, and when it fit very nicely (with sleeves
long enough for me!), I couldn't resist buying one.  It's a well-made
shirt if a tad bit pricey at $58 (or so I think - I haven't priced
shirts from other sources).

Doug said the Mutiny boot isn't meant for fighting, but I'll try it out
at fighter practice and see how it holds up.  Unfortunately, the Romeo
boot has to be made when ordered.  Most of their stock is out of the
facility at TRF and another Ren Faire in New York.

  In Service,
    Miles Grey