[Ansteorra] Questions about pinking

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Oct 23 22:00:00 PDT 2010

Okay, being known for asking "stupid" questions, I'm going to ask what may be some now.

What are you defining as "pinking"? Or "pinked cloth"?

I thought this might be another discussion about whether the color "pink" was period. Of course it is, as a color shade. Dye almost anything red and let it fade some and you have what we now call the color "pink".

Or do you mean cutting cloth with scissors with a jagged edge, commonly called "pinking shears" which leave fabric with an edge of little triangles rather than a straight line. It is supposed to cut down on the cloth unraveling. I don't know but I suspect the scissors and the technique is well past period. Anyone know? Perhaps its mentioned in a tailoring manual?

Your first two questions wouldn't apply to my two ideas of "pinking".

So, a better description of what you are looking for, William, might help. Or anyone else who knows what this is, please speak up.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com