[Ansteorra] Questions about pinking

Carol Ross gdc at stormypetrel.org
Sun Oct 24 08:02:48 PDT 2010

Hi William,

Pinking occurred very late in period for the SCA so when you say tunic
do you perhaps mean a doublet?

As for your questions:
  1) Silk and Wool are your best bet for pinking. You do the slashing on
the bias and that prevents it from raveling too much. Although, if
studied you will find that in period pinking occurred both on the bias
of the fabric and not on the bias. Linen is not tightly woven enough to
pink without it unraveling too much.

2) You can wash it however be aware this can be problematic in many
ways. First there is how the silk and wool act when washed. Silk softens
and looses its stiffer structure and well if you are not careful wool
will felt. And second, the actual pinking itself will start to unravel
becoming fuzzy edged. You can see in some period paintings that some
pinking looks fuzzier than others. However, I will tell you that in the
end I wasn't happy after washing something of mine that had been pinked.
So, really I would recommend against washing.

3.) The Tudor Tailor website offers the book The Tudor Tailor
<http://www.tudortailor.com/bookshoptt.shtml> in which they briefly
discuss period pinking tools. I've not seen any for sale on the net. All
that being said though I've not looked for any that were made for resale
online either. More than likely if you truly want to use a pinking tool
you will need to contact a metalsmith or blacksmith to have them made.
And finally if you are just going to be cutting a straight line an xacto
blade works well for this.

Baroness Genevieve