[Ansteorra] Ghost questoin

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Oct 26 06:41:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> Mary Cartwright <m.russell.cartwright at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Robin- why does the Crown's Grace need to be renamed? Just
>> curious...
>
> I am not Robin but I might be able to answer that question.  I
> suspect he is referring tot he fact that the name registration was
> returned by the College of Arms back at the end of 2008.

11/08 LoAR:

   Ansteorra, Kingdom of. Order name Award of the Crowns Grace.

     This is returned for lack of documentation that _Crowns Grace_
     follows any of the meta-patterns of period order names laid out on
     the August 2005 Cover Letter. The LoI argued that the pattern
     <virtue> _of_ <SCA sovereign entity> or <SCA sovereign entity's>
     <virtue> follows the period pattern of <virtue> _of Mary_ or
     <virtue> _of Christ_, because medieval sovereigns were considered
     to rule by divine right and their SCA counterparts are the highest
     authorities in their realms. However, these cases are not
     analogous. We do not treat SCA sovereigns as religious figures,
     and we do not have any examples of generic references to medieval
     sovereigns used in order names in this fashion. Indeed, unless we
     have evidence of <virtue> _of X_ where _X_ is a person other than
     Jesus or Mary, use of this pattern could be seen as a presumptuous
     claim identifying the crown with either Jesus or Mary (or more
     likely both).

Danielis de Lindo Colonia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com