[Ansteorra] weird question...

Colin MacNachtan colin at mccr.org
Wed Sep 8 15:00:44 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 08, 2010, Eric W. Brown wrote:
> Does anyone know how many SCFM an air compressor needs to have to
> Run an air hammer for Armoring and Blacksmithing?

I think it would depend a lot on which hammer you buy.  I found an interesting
discussion on air compressor sizing on the Iron Kiss Hammers site:

http://www.ironkisshammers.com/power_hammer_features.php

Go to the bottom of the page to the section on "Air Compressor Sizing".  It
implies that a basic hammer can operate with 17 cfm or less if you're using it
intermittently.

On the other hand I'm seeing a couple of hammers that have their own built-in
compressor.

Colin