[Ansteorra] I wonder if we need Dance Authorization cards inAnsteorra...

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 22:00:56 PDT 2011

On Apr 12, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Cisco Cividanes wrote:

<<< You know something, I feel compelled to point out that I didn't
realize that the first post was serious until about three seconds
before I hit send on my reply. >>>

and later:

> Okay, I am not going to make any judgement about another kingdom's
> decision. I wasn't there, and I wasn't part of the decision making
> process.
>
> However, if (God forbid) something like this were to legitimately come
> up in Ansteorra, what process would it have to go through in order to
> reach fruition at the kingdom level?
>
> Ivo Blackhawk

I think I'm probably the poster of the first post, and no, it is in no way a serious attempt at requiring authorizations for dancing in the SCA, or specifically Atlantia or Trimaris, where this first originated. *** Repeat, the first post was in no way meant to be serious! ***

Uh, Ivo, did you go take a look at the link I gave before you wrote your messages? Or are you making assumptions without looking?

It should be pretty obvious from the site, http://dance.atlantia.sca.org/card.php is in humor. To quote a passage from the webpage:
"Originally a Trimarian Dance Authorization Card, its history was intended as a joke (as indicated on the original card) and resembled a Fighter Authorization Card, complete with initials vs. a full name for each category. The DAM (Dance Master/Mistress) would offer a card to you when you'd taken a class at an event and check off the styles you learned. Though meant more as a novelty, this card was also proof that a man, perhaps a squire, had performed courtly duties to the ladies and expanded his repertoire of chivalric skills."

Sorry for the spoiler for those who haven't been to the site yet, but I wanted to step back in here before the paranoia got out of hand.  And no, I didn't attach smileys and such because that I thought that would spoil things. I thought, and still think, that it should be obvious that the Dance Authorization Card was not meant to be taken seriously.

But then a bit over 20 years ago, some people took a war over mustaches a bit too seriously as well. :-(

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com