[Ansteorra] I wonder if we need Dance Authorization cards in Ansteorra...

Renee Pitcock elwenaduialloth at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 17:33:17 PDT 2011

Because dancers can have problems with observing basic dance etiquette.  I run my local dance practice and when I teach, I strongly emphasize dance etiquette so that people won't hurt themselves or others.  However, I have been in ball situations where people, particularly young people, will seemingly go out of their way to hurt themselves (and others in the process).  I have actually had someone clothesline herself on my arm before because she either couldn't or wouldn't realize that I was not keen on her passing through my set.  I observed proper dance etiquette; she did not.  In the end, we both got hurt.  My local dance group has joked about dance authorization cards in the past because of things like this.  I don't like that it has to come down to actually issuing authorization cards to enforce basic rules of politeness, but if that's what keeps everyone safer and having fun, then so be it.  Bottom line, if you don't like the authorization
 cards, then don't create a situation where they are perceived to be necessary.

~Morina O'Donovan