[Ansteorra] canvas shelter alternatives - was - Re: New 10x20 garage pavillions for $85 at Walmart

Dave Calafrancesco dcalaf at drakkar.org
Wed Apr 27 14:01:06 PDT 2011

Greetings Ansteorra,

I've recently acquired a pair of 10x20 tarp/flys from MidWestTent.com for a very reasonable
price of $81 for two colors. http://midwesttent.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=31

I used a 10'2x4 rough finish cedar and ripped it in half lengthwise on my bandsaw (or use a
table saw or search through 2x2s or just use a pair of 2x4s) for the middle supports and chopped
3 12' long rough finish cedar 2x4s in half and then ripped them down and ended up with a
fabulous day shade. The tarps in color are $81 plus shipping. They currently have one remaining
white with a blemish for $60. http://midwesttent.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=30

I was extremely impressed with their quality and construction methods. I will not hesitate to
purchase from them again in the future.

Your total cost could be as low as about $100 for a canvas day shade that transports as a roll
of canvas about 14" by 24" and a bundle of 8 tent poles strapped to a roof rack. The rough cedar
is very lightweight and tends to be very straight grain. I've been using them exclusively for my
tents since I found them when I first got to Ansteorra in 2007.

With 3 ropes off the center uprights I can even set the entire thing up by myself, though it
would be faster with two people.

An alternative arrangement would be to use two 8' poles and 3 6' poles and stake the back wall
directly to the ground. This provides a back wall windbreak as well as shade. I suppose always
bringing the 8' poles would work fine and be the most flexible.

I'll have them up at the Bjornsborg Althing this weekend (they will be the canvas tents used for
some of the class locations one white and the other Ansteorra black and gold) if anyone wants to
look at them before ordering.

Thanks,
Haraldr Bassi, Bjornsborg