[Ansteorra] canvas shelter alternatives - was - Re: New 10x20 garage pavillions for $85 at Walmart

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:07:12 PDT 2011

At 05:28 PM 4/28/2011, you wrote:

>My tent is like a rock in bad weather. Stake it good and get good
>strong poles and a period pavilion will serve you well. At one event
>my tent stood its ground while a yurt flipped (the owner was dumb
>enough to forget all his stakes at home but one and thought that it he
>used just one that might do the trick) and a larger a-frame came down
>when the ridgepole snapped. The metal stakes at the top of my poles
>were seriously bent (nothing a good hammer and anvil can't fix) but
>otherwise my stuff was dry, the canvas held firm and I was nice and
>safe. Now I will admit that with no floor, water can rush through it
>like a river, but I know I'll have a roof over my head.
>
>~Eve

Some years back at a Steppes Warlord, we had a major rain/wind storm
come through (no actual tornados, although the wind was strong enough
that the tornado siren on site was going off.) *Every* popup and
garage pavilion around the listfield was destroyed, the period-style
pavilions all survived. I expect part of that is because the period
pavilions all had lots of stakes and guy ropes, and part is because
wood poles are more likely than either steel or aluminum to flex a
bit in high wind.

         -Tivar Moondragon