[Ansteorra] canvas shelter alternatives - was - Re: New 10x20 garage pavillions for $85 at Walmart

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 20:00:56 PDT 2011

At 09:35 PM 4/28/2011, you wrote:

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Zakes" <dontivar at gmail.com>
>>

>>Some years back at a Steppes Warlord, we had a major rain/wind
>>storm come through (no actual tornados, although the wind was
>>strong enough that the tornado siren on site was going off.)
>>*Every* popup and garage pavilion around the listfield was
>>destroyed, the period-style pavilions all survived. I expect part
>>of that is because the period pavilions all had lots of stakes and
>>guy ropes, and part is because wood poles are more likely than
>>either steel or aluminum to flex a bit in high wind.
>>
>>         -Tivar Moondragon
>
>Only problem I ever had at Steppes with my carport pavilion was
>trying to fold the cover in 20-30mph winds ;)
>
>Otherwise, I keep it staked and roped when it's set-up.

At that particular Warlord (so I was told) the winds were running 50+
mph. That's what was triggering the tornado siren. There was a
black-and-yellow carport roof that ended up against one of the power
poles near the listfield... about fifteen or twenty feet up, and
bearing a strong resemblance to the sail on a viking ship.

         -Tivar Moondragon