[Ansteorra] canvas shelter alternatives - was - Re: New 10x20 garage pavillions for $85 at Walmart

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 28 21:36:14 PDT 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Bree Flowers wrote:

> otherwise my stuff was dry, the canvas held firm and I was nice and
> safe. Now I will admit that with no floor, water can rush through it
> like a river, but I know I'll have a roof over my head.
>
> ~Eve

I started out originally using plastic sheeting or plastic tarps
underneath my period pavilion. Several years ago, after listening to
folks on this list and others, I switched over to the plastic, woven
mats. From a reasonable distance they look like oriental rugs with
designs on them and woven from recycled plastic bottles. They were
first being sold as "dog mats" for kennels and such, although I got
mine on sale at the big Asian grocery store in northeast Austin.

Being woven, any moisture on them, from being tracked in the door or
coming in under the sides, tends to seep through the mats into the
ground, unlike plastic sheeting where it tends to gather in pools,
that you step into. Even muddy (on the bottom, from the ground), they
easily spray clean.

The largest I could find were 10 ft. x 12 ft? So I use four of them,
overlapping in the center in my 18 x 18 ft floor area in my pavilion.
Also each one, being made from three strips sewn together, easily
folds into thirds, so they pack down fairly flat and small. Much
easier to fold up than messing with the large sheets of plastic I was
using. I only found three different colors the day I was buying, but
since each side is a negative image of the other, I can easily turn
the fourth carpet over to get a fourth design if I wish.

Unlike canvas, they don't soak up the water and don't rot. I think
they were around $15-$25 each.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com