[Ansteorra] damn chinese

Dana Busenbark danab-steppes at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 4 13:52:09 PDT 2011

If you have yahoo mobile mail active on your yahoo account, that is likely how the spam messages are getting sent. I used to get accused by frinds that have known me for years that I have a virus on my computer. I have a mac. Much less potential for a virus than a PC.  And the fact that they'd get in just after I had logged 'out' of my yahoo account. It was coming from the middle east/africa, and south america, and the bahamas. And it was all coming from my Yahoo Mobile Mail. I had the app active on my cell phone. Apparently mobile mail is NOT secure. So if you have it active and it's coming from your yahoo account. Turn off the app. You'll see these emails stop.

On Aug 4, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Haraldr Bassi wrote:

> Actually, the message originated in Israel via direct exploitation of a yahoomail account (same general location IIRC as the messages that compromised my own yahoomail account a month or so ago). I've not looked at the destination system to see where the victim is directed but the domain seems to be a .xn domain, which is the extended Internationalized Country code TLD for native language like Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew etc... The one xn--6{whatever} that is listed is also a Hebrew language TLD so I'd be willing to think that it originated in Israel and is directing people to an Israeli site.
>
> So, sounds like the Chinese are safe this time...
>
> Haraldr

Fiona the Needleworker
a.k.a. Fionnbharr le Nedlere
m.k.a. Dana Busenbark