[Ansteorra] Ravages of the Plague

Darnell Daniels dmage121 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 08:08:59 PDT 2011

Good Ansteorrans,

It is the Fall of 1349. The pestilence has reached London and hundreds are falling to a disease so vicious that many see it has the "Hand of God come to punish man for his sins." This popular opinion has prompted the Pope Mark IV of Alexandria to send to Paris envoys to obtain the opinions of the medical faculty there. They have studied the problem for a time and have returned a report. The good professors opined that the disaster is caused by a particularly unfortunate conjunction of Saturn, Jupiter and Mars in the sign of Aquarius that had occurred in 1345. This conjunction cause hot, moist conditions, which cause the earth to exhale poisonous vapors.
The report goes on to recommend steps to keep safe from the disease. This, in part, is their prescription:

"No poultry should be eaten, no waterfowl, no pig, no old beef, altogether no fat meat. . . . It is injurious to sleep during the daytime. . . . Fish should not be eaten, too much exercise may be injurious . . . and nothing should be cooked in rainwater. Olive oil with food is deadly. . . . Bathing is dangerous . . . Nothing should distress him, but all his thoughts should be directed to pleasing, agreeable and delicious things. . . . Beautiful landscapes, fine gardens should be visited, particularly when aromatic plants are flowering. . . . Listening to beautiful, melodious songs is wholesome. . . . The contemplating of gold and silver and other precious stones is comforting to the heart."

As the time progresses ever forward I will relay more of this dreaded calamity over the next three days. Take heart citizens, no such calamity be it man's punishment or earthly bound pestilence, will last forever. We will celebrate joyously when we may all walk together without fear of the disease.

Robert of Coleford
Autocrat, Bring Out Your Dead!
Gate's Edge Fall Event
http://bringoutyourdead.comxa.com/index.html