[Ansteorra] why regions?

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 06:26:22 PDT 2011

At 03:45 PM 8/6/2011, you wrote:
>The creation of regions was suppose to give groups in all areas a
>level of officers that would help them. The kingdom officer found it
>too hard to personally get to all the group. Area's were talking
>about the need  of principalities to solve this problem.
>Regions were created to give groups a kingdom officers that they
>could get help from and someone who could take problems up to the
>Crown. They were to give the smalls a source of data so they would
>know who they could go to for advice and help
>That seemed to help for about an decade but now it has failed. hTe
>fact that so many small groups have failed and the fact we are
>losing problem proves that the system isn't working.

I expect the economic situation has a *lot* more to do with groups
failing than how the kingdom is structured. If you've lost your job,
you probably don't have the money to do much SCA-ing. When gas prices
are around $3.50/gallon, frequent trips to the other end of the
kingdom become less feasible.

>It might be time for the Crown and Its officers to put more one to
>one time into our problems.
>  The Crown might look in creating more kingdom level deputies. and
> corresponding warranted officers

So you want to get rid of one layer of bureaucracy--the regional
officers--and replace them with a different layer of bureaucracy? How
is that going to help?

>For example, every active art form or activity mean more people in a
>group. If a group is attracting heavy and rapier fighter and archers
>and lots of fiber arts people they might need to think about
>broadening the bardic and metal working and research aspect of the
>SCA, There is a great chance they have no one interested in those
>subjects because the RW rule for organizing  Is "like recruits like".
>  A office that is there with list of people who might be willing to
> come to the group and materials. A person on a computer and a phone
> that can offer help to demo organizers and offer a list of teachers
> that would be able to teach the new people that were recruited. the
> regional officers used to do this but that doesn't appear to being
> done. A kingdom system might prove more useful.

If its not being done under the current system, how will changing
job-titles or shuffling the officers around suddenly make it happen?

>We are in trouble and only the Crown and Kingdom officers can pull
>resources out to help groups in trouble. The Crown can ask its peers to help.

And the local or regional officers *can't* do this? Why not? I direct
your attention to the upcoming Academy of the
Rapier  http://academy.dwarfworks.com/  It's being put on by the
Central Region precisely *because* the kingdom-level officers were
being obstructions to holding a kingdom Academy of the Rapier. But
the funny thing is that the teachers, classes and students will look
a whole lot like a kingdom event, even though the label says "regional."

         -Tivar Moondragon