[Ansteorra] Thank you to the Laurels and all those that helped make LPT a great success!

Casey Weed seoseaweed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 05:48:04 PDT 2011

Gold stars to Marguerite and her crew for coping with the tight space
issues.  The venue was small for a body-of-work layout (even if you only
brought items from the last two years) but it was dealt with as fairly as
could be expected and was well-organized.

I know I'm an outlier where feedback is concerned but I must say it was
refreshing to have more frankness from the laurels who dropped by my display
than is usual at this type of showing.  Mssrs Stella, Diarmuid, and Talana
specifically avoided the usual cream puff sandwich and got straight to work
sorting through the areas of my work they felt competent giving constructive
criticism on.  I felt in every case we were working toward the common goals
of making better art, making better science, and making me more competitive
at higher level competitions in the future.  Hooray for the get-it-done
North.

I particularly appreciated the effort the laurels took to qualify their
criticism to their particular areas of expertise; if not familiar with one
of the mediums I had on display my visitor/judges limited commentary to
aesthetics or asked for more information about it.  This is a rare thing in
the SCA where everyone tends to have a strong opinion about every subject
regardless of bona fides, and it is a testament to the integrity of the
active laurel circle.  From the outside it seems you guys are putting forth
a fairly consistent public policy here; I love it.

Short wish list for next time: six feet of table space for any BoW display;
a facility with a double door foyer entrance to keep cold in and hot out; a
place for performance away from the hustle and the bustle (music, poetry,
dance, acting, puppetry, racket sports, ball games... those kinds of things
need space and often quiet space).

Yours,

Casey/Sir D./Hanse