[Ansteorra] Submission for mailing list

Nathan Vickers renedamours at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:10:52 PST 2011

Greetings Ansteorra,

I am passing on a missive from Don Conor Drummond.  This coming weekend at
Bryn Gwlad's Candlemas event, Don Conor will be teaching a class entitled
"Introduction to Late Period Italian Rapier".  The class description is
below, and I wish any and all who are traveling to our fine barony, safe
travels.

*Introduction to late-period Italian Rapier -

Students will learn the principals of Italian rapier stance, movement and
guards.  Students will learn the theory behind each movement and how to
apply them in an SCA context.  Students will learn about the important idea
of misura (range) and the period Italian lunge. Students will also learn
about the theory of stringere (stringering, or covering, the opponent's
blade) and how to apply all these in an SCA context.  If time allows we will
also discuss tempo (timing). Students will need a rapier (foil, epee, heavy
rapier and most side swords will work fine). Students might also want to
bring eye protection for drills (shop eye glasses or fencing masks are
fine). No prior knowledge of rapier combat is required. Class will use a
mixture of English and period Italian terms.

There is no charge for the class; handouts are provided for free; no
class-size limit.

The class should run from noon - 1:30.*

In service to Crown and Kingdom,

Lord René Damours