[Ansteorra] Largesse gifting

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Fri Feb 4 12:49:58 PST 2011

greetings

> To address your second point, my lady wife has made and given away
> well over 100 tunics and other forms of period dress so that people who
> can't otherwise afford to dress well or simply haven't been in long
> enough to make such expenditures prudent have the opportunity to
> experience reasonably period clothing.<

I commend you lady wife !!!, has anyone bothered to let the crown known know
of these many goodly deeds ?? ( they should have many times over  )
>> I think many people choose to wear less than ideal fabrics and styles
> out of the mistaken belief that dressing more appropriately is
> expensive, uncomfortable, or both. It isn't.<
I recently discovered ( this past Monday ) that apparently I'm no longer
allergic to wool , I was given a period wool cap ( that's wonderfully warm
and comfy  )
that I couldn't wear before because I would get itchy and hives where ever
the wool would touch me before.
instead of " isn't " I would say " it doesn't need to be " having looked at
merchant wares for years , most of them are doing the " maximize their
profits" thing , buying cheap fabric and selling it at higher prices, as an
example , ive seen many tunics etc. labeled  " linen "   which turned out to
be " linen like " or " linen blend "  instead of linen . also there are many
merchants out there that will make clothing cheaply, but they fall apart the
fist time you wear them. the secret I've found on the few pieces I have
bought is to find a merchant that makes their own product , and stands
behind it, you pay a little more , but it last a lot longer .

> It requires a bit of thought and some effort, perhaps, <

that's another point, I have seen many different types of garb, from many
periods, but most look hot, or hard to get into or out of by your self, or
even uncomfortable. not to mention some styles just look silly to me ( the
little boy blue outfits for example, I'm not a knee shorts kind of guy  )
and while they may be comfy, and easy to don / doff , I wouldn't wear them
if given to me , so they would wind up hung in my closet going to waste : (
so until I actually see an outfit on someone that I think may look good on
me , and comfortable, and not something I'm going to roast in , or be unable
to move in, or need assistance to get dressed / undressed , I don't have a
clue as to what final " look / period " my garb may wind up being .

>but there are myriad souls in this kingdom who would gladly assist anyone
>who wishes to upgrade their appearance.  You have but to ask.

unfortunately , most people ( including me ) don't have a clue who to ask or
where to go to find out who to ask .
I would even be in favor of trading time , labor, skills for something I
wanted . but again in this economy most of the people I know want cash ,
something I rarely have : (

sorry if I'm sounding a little testy , I've been stuck in the house alone
for 4 days due to 15 inches of snow on the ground, and its snowing again .

stay warm
Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur