[Ansteorra] Patronage of the Arts

Ysabeau ysabeau.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 13:40:42 PST 2011

I try to do this on a regular basis both within and without the SCA. I've
bartered items that I've made for items that another person has made, I've
commissioned artwork and I've been commissioned to make artwork. I currently
have a couple of commissions in progress (both that I'm making and someone
else is making for me). I admire the people who do their craft and, while I
would love to learn how to do it myself, I only have so many hours in a day
and only two hands so commissioning an item is often the easiest way to get
it. Besides, the ramp-up time to get to the skill level to make something
nice is something I definitely don't have time for.

I remember one time posting a picture of something knitted that I wanted on
FaceBook and being asked why I didn't just purchase it from the person who
was selling it on Etsy. The honest truth was that a) I prefer to patronize
people I know and help the finance their hobby and b) I'm very tactile so I
wanted to be able to provide the yarn that would be used so I could make
sure it had the right look and feel for what I wanted. It wasn't a matter of
getting a "deal" but getting what I wanted and wanting to help someone else
finance their hobby instead of just sending money to an anonymous person in
Eastern Europe.

I do think there needs to be more of this in the SCA but it is happening on
a fairly regular basis. Maybe let it be known what you are willing to do for
commissions and/or barter. Word of mouth is usually the best advertisement.

Just my two cents,
Ysabeau