[Ansteorra] Largesse gifting

Kaitlan Roisendubh ladykaitlan at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 14:44:33 PST 2011

Perhaps we are looking at this in the wrong way. People who like and enjoy the handmade gifts or largess should be given that type of gift.  And visa versa.  I know that my mother loves my homemade gifts and most of my family does as well.. but I have a sister in law and her kids that don't understand them.  They don't understand the time and costs it really takes to make them.

So I don't give them the homemade gifts any more.  It wastes my time to do make them and it takes time away from those gifts i make for people who do enjoy them.

The same goes for what the King or Queen or B & B desire.  If they would rather have boughten gifts then so be it... if they like and accept the handmade gifts then do that.

What really matters is what each individual person likes.  Everyone is different.

As to the bodices or "out" of period garments.  There are many garments that will pass as period.  The best thing to do is remember the best way to show a person what is acceptable in your opinion is to show them.  Wear the garments that you would like to see them wearing and hope they follow your example.  I have found that Ansteorra changes a lot in just a few seasons.  I have many outfits that are different and I am always evolving.  I have many patterns that our Simplicity or McCall's or Butterick and make them "look" period.  I also have period patterns as well.  Since I am a seamstress and good at what I do I use those patterns to make much of the garb that is simple and add more elaborate  pieces to make them more period.  Whinning about what a person is wearing doesn't' help but to drive people away as has been said before.

Kaitlan Rosiendubh