[Ansteorra] Largesse gifting

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 4 07:13:04 PST 2011

> more than a " little tacky " if they are puting out a list of what they want
> as " gifts" to keep.

No. This is a list of things they wish for Largesse. To give to others.
They are wanting to get away from the usual store bought items that
so many Crowns get and have stuff that is more in line with what we
are trying to do.

Crowns get a lot of wonderful items, both as personal to keep and to
give to others. Crowns also get a lot of stuff that isn't so wonderful.
For a Crown to request that largess items be handmade, representative
of the skills of the kingdom populace and of a period nature is not "tacky".

There are SOME machine made trims that are nice and look handmade.
And there are a LOT of trims that look machine made. It usually isn't hard
to tell the difference. I think it is a nice thing to let people know what you
are looking for instead of having people guess.

Trust me, all of those who have been Crown before have seen our fill of
storebought trim, candles, soap, spices, candle holders and enough
baskets to populate an Indiana Jones movie. I swear I keep expecting to
see Debra Winger come stumbling out of our project room.

Where did it say they are turning their noses up? They are simply saying
this is what they want to give and to avoid the usual pitfalls people make
when giving gifts to be passed on. Wouldn't you rather be given a nice
handmade trim for a bardic performance you have worked hard on than
a hank of obviously storebought?

Knowing Skeggi and Tasiia they never ask for gifts, they give away tons of
largesse. They are also very much into handmade items and recognizing
artists.

I also passed on this list to give people who wish to present things to our
Crown some ideas in what makes a Crown's heart flutter and what is just
typical stuff to give away.

> do they even know what custom hand made items
> like they discribe are worth ? or perhaps thats the point ?

Why yes, they do. And that IS the point. They want to show off the best
when they give out gifts both to their populace and to those outside of
An Tir.

> Arthur

Duke Gunthar