[Ansteorra] Garb - Was Largesse

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 12:13:23 PST 2011

> If you want people to more perfectly reenact artists, then you
> must more perfectly reenact patrons. :)
> -R the O

I think the patron angle is far too often overlooked in our game, especially in recent years. As a newcomer I remember several instances of patronage going on around me... One example was a Knight who patroned one of our fledgling bards. The bard agreed to provide bardic entertainment at the whim of his/her patron and in exchange the Knight gave "payment" (fabric, garb, feast gear, etc - stuff that made the game nicer for the newcomer).

I can say, as a metalworker, that I have often used patronage to fund the cost of materials for specific projects. In those cases, it is usually about allowing people to contribute something towards a special gift for a person or place they care about. It just seems (to me anyway) a nicer sentiment when a gift comes from a place of love.

I think it was Arthur who said earlier in this thread that handmade objects are very expensive. This doesn't have to be the case. For every artisan who would charge a phenomenal sum of money for their time there are others who don't charge anything. Sometimes you just need to look creatively.

I figure I can say that... I never would have made my first coronet if I'd been willing to pay what it would've cost to have someone make the one I wanted. :)

~ Kat MacLochlainn